Sophie BagPosted: July 18, 2005
First, a belated thank you to Tori of RAOK for sending me these lovely stitch markers last week!!
Also, my wonderful SP5 sent me a $20 Amazon.com gift certificate!!! YAY!! I’m excited about using it! I’ve never received an Amazon gift cert before!!! Thank you, SP5!!!
Last week I knit the Sophie Bag, which will be a Christmas present. This is a very quick and easy knit, so I highly recommend it if you want to knit a small gift for someone but are limited on time. It only takes 1 skein of Cascade 220, so it’s also an economical gift. I knit the bottom of the bag on Tuesday and Wednesday (though I don’t know why it even took me 2 nights to knit 39 short little rows), did the sides and the handles on Thursday and Friday, and felted it on Saturday. Here are the pre- and post-felting pics:
I plan to line the bag (my first attempt at lining) and add a magnetic clasp. I’m a bit hesitant about doing the lining because I’m horrible at sewing, but I’ll let you know how it goes.
From this easy project, I learned something important about myself: I take knitting directions much too literally. Example: When binding off for the top of the bag, the instructions say BO 29 stitches, put next 6 stitches on a stitch holder, and BO next 29 stitches. The handles of the bag are knit from the 6 stitches on the other side that are not put on a holder. After the handles are done, they are Kitchenered to the 6 stitches on the holder. Well, if you follow the directions too literally like I did, then the handles will not be attached appropriately on one side. There is a gap (for lack of a better word). Here are some photos to explain what I’m referring to:
What I should have done was BO 29 stitches, cut the yarn, put the next 6 stitches on a holder, re-join the yarn, and then BO the next 29 stitches. I elected not to re-do the handles because I didn’t think that this was a crucial issue. Yes, it’s noticeable, but only if you’re looking carefully at it. I can still see the difference after felting, but I don’t think it takes away too much from the bag. I’m planning to knit a second Sophie bag down the road as another Christmas gift, so I’ll make the adjustment the next time around.
Yesterday I cast on for the Irish Walking Hat that is a modification of the Basic Cable Hat in SnB Nation. This is my first hat! I’m knitting it to match the Irish Hiking Scarf I finished a couple of months ago, and two together will be a Christmas gift. No pictures yet, but barring any major brain farts this looks like another quick knit. I’ve learned that I need to have at least one easy knit on the needles so that I can bring it with me to SnB. =o)
I have been wanting to knit the Tivoli for myself and my sister. I keep reading such great things about the pattern! I was planning to knit the medium size first for my sister using Lion Brand Cotton-Ease that I found on clearance, but now I’m not so sure because: (1) I’m not entirely convinced that the 36″ would fit her — it might be too big, and (2) I can’t seem to match the row gauge in the pattern using Cotton-Ease. With size 7 needles my swatch is 5″ long instead of 4″, and using 6 needles I’m still off by 3/4″. I don’t really want to go down further because I think the fabric would be too tight. I’m rather puzzled because others have managed to match the row gauge using Cotton-Ease, and I’m usually a tight knitter so I was expecting this swatch to be small. Hmm….but I think my main reservation is that she is between the 31″ and 36″ size so I don’t really know which one to knit for her. I might just have to knit myself the small one using the Cathay, and then see how the sizing turns out. Of course, I have too many WIPs on the needles right now, so this will have to wait. Perhaps when I finish the Bolero, I can cast on for Tivoli.
Enough rambles from me for now…hope you have a great week!