Finally Finished Frieda!Posted: January 28, 2006
Pattern: Frieda from Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk
Yarn: Jaeger Shetland Aran in color Fuchsia (033). This yarn knits up nicely and shows cable definition well. However, it is a bit itchy and it bleeds like crazy. I got it for a good deal on eBay, though, so I’m not complaining.
Modifications: I followed Cyndi’s sleeve modifications and knit two fewer sleeve increases. I knit the turtleneck to 7″ instead of 9.5″.
I started this sweater on November 1, and wasn’t sure that I would ever finish it. It took me a week to knit the 7 inches of turtleneck because I couldn’t motivate myself to knit the ribbing. Seaming was spread out over the course of several nights. Cyndi gave me some really helpful tips on easing in the sleeves, but I still encountered problems. One night I spent a full 3 hours sewing and re-sewing the sleeves into the armholes because I kept getting this weird bunching. Finally I gave up and decided to block the armhole seams before seaming the sides and the sleeves. Blocking helped quite a bit, but I can see remnants of bunching.
The sleeves are also too loose on me, particularly on the upper arm. I knew this going in, but I didn’t know how to make further modifications to decrease the width. I didn’t want to cut the number of sleeve increases too drastically because then the sleeve might not have fit into the armhole at all.
Despite the imperfections, I am very pleased with this sweater. I wore it out today, and I like it a lot more than the other two sweaters I’ve knit. I’m so glad I finished!